With each Disney trip, we try to do something we have never done before. This past trip was no exception. This summer’s Disney vacation fell during the 4th of July. We knew we wanted to do something special to celebrate. We decided the perfect place to view an amazing patriotic display is to watch Magic Kingdom fireworks on the 4th of July at California Grill.
4th of July at California Grill
The California Grill is a nice restaurant with an accessible rooftop on top of Disney’s Contemporary Resort. The restaurant and it’s rooftop offer spectacular views of the Magic Kingdom’s fireworks. With panoramic, glass windows, and the firework’s music piped into the restaurant, a reservation of California Grill is easily the best seat in the house. Magic Kingdom’s 4th of July fireworks started at 9:00 pm, which is a little late for dinner for our family. We decided to do drinks and dessert instead,which gave the experience an extra celebratory feel.
- If you have a reservation at California Grill any time in the evening, you can view Magic Kingdom’s fireworks from their rooftop even if your reservation is not during fireworks time. You can come early or stay late…such an awesome perk.
- The Magic Kingdom has a fireworks display most evenings, so it doesn’t matter what time of year you decide to go. However, Magic Kingdom’s 4th of July fireworks display was a specific, patriotic themed show.
- The food and service is fantastic. I highly recommend the creme brulee.
- It is more than a meal, it is an experience. And one we will most likely do again and again.
- This is a hard reservation to get. We called as soon as possible at 180 days before our trip, and the best reservation we could get was 9:15 pm, 15 minutes past fireworks time. However, our table was ready right when we got there, at 8:50 pm….just in time for the fireworks. Like Magic.
- We first thought of viewing 4th of July fireworks from the California Grill in order to avoid the massive crowds at the Magic Kingdom. While we avoided them in the park, we did not avoid them as we tried to get back to our hotel. We took the monorail from the Contemporary to the Magic Kingdom and then took a bus back to Pop Century, where we were staying. The trek back took almost two hours. In hindsight, we would have been much better off taking a bus from the Contemporary Resort to Disney Springs and then a bus to Pop Century…that would have avoided the Magic Kingdom crowd altogether. Lesson Learned.
Disney Gift Cards
You can use a Disney Gift Card to pay for your meal at the California Grill. To read more on how you can save big by buying Disney Gift Cards at a discount, click here.
If you enjoy our posts, consider supporting Points to Neverland by using one of our links to apply for your next credit card