Marriott announced the new rewards categories for all hotels in the newly integrated Starwood/Marriott award chart. These new categories come into effect for bookings made on August 1st or later. We’re sad to tell you Disney’s Swan and Dolphin are going up in points.
Disney’s Swan and Dolphin
The Swan and Dolphin are legacy Starwood hotels. The Swan is actually a Westin hotel and the Dolphin is a Sheraton hotel. They currently cost 12,000 Starwood points per night, which is the equivalent of 36,000 Marriott points (1:3 transfer rate).
Starting August 1st, new bookings at the Swan and Dolphin will cost 50,000 Marriott points per night.
Marriott points are currently worth about 0.8 cents each. This means 50,000 points should get you a hotel that is around $400 a night. The Swan and Dolphin average cost is closer to $300 a night. You do get a 5th night free when you use points, but that only brings it close to a decent trade off.
No Free Night with Credit Card
Both the Starwood and Marriott credit cards will start offering a free night each year with your annual fee at a hotel that is 35,000 points or less. Unfortunately, that means you won’t get to use your free night at the Swan & Dolphin either.
Hotels You Should Book Now
Other hotels at Disney World or Disneyland you should book before August 1st because they are going up in points include:
- Sheraton Lake Buena Vista – From 12,000 to 25,000
- Sheraton Park Anaheim – From 30,000 to 35,000
- Courtyard Anaheim Theme Park Entrance – From 45,000 to 50,000
- Four Points by Sheraton Orlando International Drive (Universal) – From 12,000 to 25,000
Hotels You Should Wait to Book
Hotels at Disney World or Disneyland you should wait to book until August 1st because they are going down in points include:
- Delta Hotels Orlando Lake Buena Vista – From 30,000 to 25,000
- Four Points by Sheraton Anaheim – From 21,000 to 17,500
- Residence Inn at Anaheim Resort/Convention Center – From 40,000 to 35,000
- SpringHill Suites Anaheim Maingate – From 35,000 to 25,000
- SpringHill Suites at Anaheim Resort/Convention Center – From 40,000 to 35,000
There’s some good news here for going to Disneyland. Some of the newest hotels closest to Disneyland are going down in points. These are within a short walk of the parks.
But, I would say the news for Disney World is a bummer. If you have the points, book the Swan and Dolphin before August 1st. You can typically book Marriott and Starwood hotels for 11 months into the future, so this should cover your planned stay out into 2019.